Pet of the Month

Meet Primrose

IMG_1381 IMG_2477 IMG_2484

Meet Prim Rose a very sweet 16 month old golden doodle who got into the family's Easter candy even though the children had hidden it in their rooms. The girls had taken their bounty of candy upstairs and Prim Rose got into their rooms and raided their shelves to steal chocolate; Reeses peanut butter cups, and red licorice. She had also gotten a hold of a toy and chewed it up which we found parts of in her stool.

When Prim Rose came to HEAH we had to induce vomiting. She ended up vomiting many times which is when we found the peanut buttercup wrappers and the licorice. Prim also ate a lot of chocolate she had gotten her “sisters” solid milk chocolate bunnies (over 64 oz worth). Remember dogs have super good noses so even if you think you are hiding the chocolate from them they can find it. Chocolate is not good for dogs as it causes vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, rapid breathing and heart rate. If left untreated chocolate can cause cardiac failure and even death.

Any amount of chocolate can be dangerous to dogs. As little as 1 pound of milk chocolate can be toxic to a 20 pound dog. The ingredient in chocolate that causes the issue is called theobromine. The more they ingest the sooner the symptoms occur and the worse the dog will feel. When your dog comes into the veterinarian, vomiting will be induced and something called Toxiban will be used to coat the dog's stomach so they will not absorb anymore chocolate and theobromine into their system. Blood will also be taken to test their liver and kidneys to see if the theobromine is affecting their organs.

Anytime your pet ingests something they should not, your Veterinarian should be contacted right away. We will have you call the Poison Control Hotline, for pets, to determine what treatment is needed (vomiting versus using something else to neutralize the substance ingested), what type of blood work needs to be taken and analyzed, and if we need a urine sample. They will also help us determine what follow up care is needed, including IV fluids and hospitalization, versus medicines given at home. They also let us know when and what to recheck to see if any permanent damage is done to your pet.

Please be aware of what common household foods and plants can cause a toxic reaction in your pets. Most people don't know that just having lilies in the house can be toxic to cats, or that macadamia nuts are toxic to dogs. Feel free to calls us anytime you have a question on whether something is not good for your pet to eat or check this website for a more complete list of items poisonous to your pet; www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poisons/

Contact Us